Springing

March 19, 2012

We’re shocked in Minnesota- it’s warm, the ground has thawed, and it’s hard to find any evidence of snow.  People are planting their seeds and wearing their summer wardrobes.  I am cleaning and enjoying the idea of Spring without any real looming stress or projects (unlike last year).  I mean, is teaching a group of 14 highschool boys who can’t move a 6-minute dance number really stress? Not really.



The spring weather is here, and it seems a perfect time to get rid of things.  It was part of the Mondobeyondo workshop: creating a clearing.  The idea is that if you want to add things into your life that make it better, you need to get rid of other things.  It makes sense.  Without getting rid of things, it's hard to find space.  Getting rid of things (shit around my house, relationships that aren't working, time-sucking habits) feels almost violent, but also totally necessary.



Suddenly, I want to get rid of all of the coffee mugs but the favorite one, and clear my closet out until I have a uniform of just three choices.  I want to scrub out my living space, and I want to take a class in something new, and I want to figure out how to make space for the things that make me really excited.  And, I want to be surprised by the new things that appear.

3 comments:

  1. I want to get rid of all the books I have been holding onto that I've already read and think I'll read again because I won't and they are adding to the mental should list. Ditto for the shit in my basement. Thinking of hiring Elise Langer the Cluttoh Helpoh for that project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes- books are a good one. What am I really going to do with a lot of those theatre theory books? A big fat NOTHING!

    ReplyDelete
  3. [...] a real bummer to resent where your time and energy are going.  I guess it goes back to the idea of making a clearing.  That [...]

    ReplyDelete

 

© This is the Blog That Laura Wrote All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger