Let's talk about breakfast

January 29, 2013



I've been feeling like a pentecostal preacher lately when it comes to the subject of breakfast. Hallelujah!
Seriously, though. Eating breakfast (which I did do, but not always, and often not until I was super hungry and felt horrible) has made me feel so much better.

Important background information: I come from a long line of ladies with comically unstable blood sugar. I write 'comically unstable', because if you put me in a Target when my blood sugar is at a precarious place, you will find me wandering the aisles looking confused and panicked hours later. You'd think I'd go to the food aisle. Nope. I am incapable of making such a decision in my time of hunger and confusion.

So, I was thinking that maybe I should find a more effective way of not having that whole wander/panic/spacey thing become a part of my regular routine. And my smarty pants sister told me to read Potatoes Not Prozac. It's written for people who are sugar sensitive (she has a list of qualifiers in the book). And, I think a lot of creative people are. A lot creative people I know have depressive and addictive tendencies-- be they to sugar, alcohol, or cigarettes-- and the author describes them as having a sugar sensitive brain chemistry. And, the book walks you towards the steps of avoiding the potential pitfalls of this. The first steps? Eating breakfast. Specifically, eating breakfast each day within an half hour of waking up-- a breakfast with a good chunk of protein (not cereal, not a muffin).

Apparently this is really hard for highly sugar sensitive people (the eating breakfast thing). They tend either want nothing to eat at all, or maybe coffee, or maybe a coffee and pastry, or cereal. Which of course sets up a whole host of problems for the day.

Enter breakfast and a much happier me. I don't think too much about what I'm going to eat, I just always have options on hand.

The main deal: eggs (almost every day I eat eggs), turkey bacon (I love it), Greek yogurt (I like it because there's more protein).
Accompaniments + other options: apples, brussel sprouts, arugula, almonds, root vegetable hash (for days where I have the time).



The joy of yogurt is that it's quick. Add almonds and grab an apple and you are set to go.

But I prefer a basted egg. It turns out that it's easier than over-easy. Crack the egg into a pan. When the white is about 1/3 cooked (a minute?), add some water and cover. The yolk will pink up. It's damn delicious.


about-to-be-basted: downright studly.

Or, this scramble if I have more time. Actually, we make this scramble several times a week in brussel sprout season (if you like brussels, which happen to be Ben's favorite vegetable):

Brussel Sprout Scramble (serves 2)

4 eggs- cracked and beaten in a bowl
4-6 brussel sprouts- finely sliced
diced onion to taste (about 1/4 of a med. sized onion is what we use)
diced garlic to taste (optional, but I love it)
3 slices already cooked and crisp turkey bacon, diced (optional)
cheese (I like just a little parmesan)

Sauté onions and brussels together in some oil until they brown a bit. Then add the garlic and stir a bit more. Add the eggs and turkey bacon and bit of cheese, and cook as you would scrambled eggs.

Another thought: I have (mostly) successfully limited myself to a cup of coffee a day, or I substitute green tea (Genmaicha-- which has toasted rice in it-- is the best tasting green tea I've tried). I find that caffeine on an empty stomach is a recipe for major anxiety for me and double blood sugar woes.

I can't say how nice it is to have low anxiety, steady energy, and a stable mood. It sounds stupidly simple that it comes down to consistent eating, but I'll take it.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

© This is the Blog That Laura Wrote All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger