Daily 20: steps towards making a dance

February 20, 2013



{instagrams from my first two daily 20's}

We discussed it at our small business meeting last week over wine (always wine...and curry this time, too-- you should come): how do we make time for everything we're trying to do? This is a really relevant topic for most humans-- but especially artists and small business owners who don't have the typical 9-5 template for life. We could always be planning more, learning more, and working more.

I don't want to be a slave to the 'I'm so busy' headspace. It's tempting; I've been there and done that. I want to make space for what I value (which will probably always be a work-in-progress), and don't believe in 'there just isn't time'. There's time for what I want to make time for.

Which brings me to this: I really want to make a dance.

Since making I Like You-- the evening-length performance that made me so anxious that I started looking for tall buildings to jump out of-- in June of 2011, I haven't created a piece just to satisfy my own creative cravings. Meaning: I've made dances for plays, a dance film with Ben, and many create-a-plays with small children (like 'A Story About A Pet Store Under The Ocean'- particularly stellar), but I haven't made anything just on my own, just because I want to. I finally have the desire to--without traumatic I Like You flashbacks. And so, in January, I set out to make a Small Dance. I even set up a performance date in May to hold myself accountable!

Yeah, except here's the thing: life keeps happening. I started with the agreement that I'd spend at least a 2 hour chunk of time each week on my little dance. And, every f*cking week everything else seems more important. Rehearsal time gets saved for Fridays, squeezed in right before I go to serve wine and small plates to the masses (or forgotten all together).

Then I read this. 20 minutes? I have 20 minutes. You have 20 minutes. We can do a lot in 20 minutes a day.

So, I'm working on my dance for 20 minutes every day for the next month. Maybe I'll continue after that.

By the end of the week, 20 minutes a day is even more than my previous 2 hr. chunk of time. Even better: by visiting what I'm working on every day, it stays at the front of my mind. I can chew on it some more when I'm at the gym. And, sometimes 20 minutes turns to 40 minutes or an hour, and that's great too. The goal is to start-- and then to keep figuring out how to get one step closer to the end result.

I'm documenting my 20 minutes over on instagram, with more details about the actual creative process to follow.

I'm so excited to make shit.


2 comments:

 

© This is the Blog That Laura Wrote All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger