Fight For Joy

May 3, 2013

A year and a half ago I wrote this post about running into Ben's colleague Dave at the grocery store, and the words that Dave shared with us via his mother:

Fight For Joy!

There are weeks where joy comes really easily without effort, and there are weeks where I have to make a point of squeezing it into my life. These last two weeks were beasts that made me feel ALL THE FEELINGS, and a lot of them canceled out any evidence of good stuff. But I remembered Dave's words. It helped! When I worked to be aware, there was joy pretty much everywhere. 

For starters, we should all  listen to a little more Queen. Because seriously: HAPPINESS, PEOPLE!



But that's just the beginning. My heart was really happy when I learned that one of my oldest, dearest friends is getting married to a rad guy who is just the absolute best partner for her. Loving is such a risk and such a joy, and holds in it some of the best stuff about being a human.

Then there was grilling: Ben and I made food with our "pastor" (what I sometimes like to call our best buddy who married us), and we were so excited about the warm weather that we went to the playground.

And yes, today (May 3!) it is snowing and cloudy, but I am not fooled. Things are turning green, flowers are popping up, and birds are singing. I went on a walk yesterday and saw all the signs.



Then I made this Chicken Chili. I added cilantro, avocado, and the juice of half a lime at the end. It was downright delightful.


I also got a massage and was reminded to breathe deeply for the first time in a couple of months. AMAZING.

Oh, and then I took the ugly plastic handles off of my (also ugly) office closet, and replaced them with cheerful red ones and documented it with these somewhat blurry, grainy photos. JOY!


The only thing left to do is to watch a bunch of baby animal videos on youtube.
Tell me your happy thoughts, dear people! What is good? What's making you excited?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

© This is the Blog That Laura Wrote All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger