Lately: April

May 6, 2013

I was one of those strange people who wasn't terribly upset that we spent so much of April with snow on the ground. It was a month of putting my head down and getting.shit.done. It's more distracting to know that I can go on a bike ride. Still, this was April 23 in Minnesota:


I'm going to make sure we get a medal or something.

In April I...

  • Switched out my part-time job for another. I'm grateful for a much healthier work environment.
  • Made my first dollar writing!
  • Tried a lot of new recipes. It's Whole30 Day 30 today! I'm so grateful that I stuck to dedicating these 30 days to resetting my body. That said: I'll wait a while to bore you with the details.
  • Dove into dance-making. I've had such a good time!
  • Bought some seeds and starter plants. We might not get to a full garden, but I at least want herbs and greens. 
  • Re-wrote my Story Mapping methodology. Over the next two months I'll make some tweaks and work with a designer to lay out the exercises in a more visual way. I'm psyched to show the results.
  • Booked performance and McGinley Motion projects that have me truly excited. 
  • Took care of myself.
Taking care of myself goes far beyond what I eat. It was both the trickiest part of the month, and the thing I'm most proud of. It meant small things like walks and taking time to write (the kind of writing no one will ever read- thankfully), listening to a self-help book on CD in the car (which makes me feel like I'm 20 years older than I am), round 3 of purging my closet (because I like getting rid of things), and seeing performance. I'm still thinking about Devon, the Open Eye solo show I wrote about for Minnesota Playlist last week. I don't think I've laughed that hard in a long time.

This month is our wedding anniversary month! I like any opportunity I can find to give love a shout-out-- because loving Ben and creating a life we love together has been the biggest adventure, and I couldn't be more grateful that I get the opportunity to risk and grow in this way. We are celebrating in Seattle this week (!) and I am going to eat all the non-Paleo food in the world. This month I'll also show this first draft of my little dance. I wanted to share this Cheryl Strayed quote, which has underscored a lot of what the dance is about for me. I know- I can't stop mentioning her. She's good stuff.

Whatever happens to you belongs to you. Make it yours. Feed it to yourself even if it feels impossible to swallow. Let it nurture you, because it will. 
(Cheryl Strayed, Tiny Beautiful Things)

Here's to May.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

© This is the Blog That Laura Wrote All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger