Asking For Feedback

June 7, 2013



Today I'm writing about feedback over on the McGinley Motion blog, using the protocol from Liz Lerman's Critical Response Process. I've thought a lot about this feedback method while doing client work, setting up business systems, and -- of course-- making dance experiments. Sometimes when I put work in front of an audience, I just need some kind of affirmation. I MADE SOMETHING! GIVE ME A PAT ON THE BACK! I have buddies that are kind and affirming in this way. However, this kind of back patting generally does very little to actually help my work or process.

At my 9 x 22 performance, we were able to have a question and answer session after each piece. It was refreshing to take a step out of the "it was good" or "it was totally a wreck" mentality, and get some constructive feedback as to whether or not my piece read according to my intentions. The aim of the feedback was to help me move the piece forward-- which is what the Liz Lerman method is so great at.

Anyway-- I highly recommend the book. I'd love to hear about how you ask for feedback, and who you ask when you need the really helpful kind.

If it's your weekend, have a happy one!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

© This is the Blog That Laura Wrote All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger