The Ghost Ship

June 24, 2013





Whenever I go to visit the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, there is a little part of me that wants to drop everything and commit to being a backwoods hippie. I would live on top of Moon Mountain (a real place) in a cabin, and take up organic gardening and beer brewing. I'd probably also learn to play banjo, and have a couple of children who rarely wear shoes. We'd spend summers on the beach, and winters snowshoeing and making fires. Maybe this alternate reality is my ghost ship.

It's especially tempting when I listen to music like this from The Appleseed Collective. They played at sister Kate's wedding this past weekend, and brought the house down.

I'm hoping that if I sit on my back porch in the city, gluten-free beer in hand and this album on repeat, that I might somehow manage to transport myself back to Lake Superior-- or at least back to the slow pace of beach life.

Today I'm enjoying the memory of having my family all in one place, and of watching my gorgeous little sister's face light up over and over. Today I think of her as she and her husband fly to Berlin for a European backpacking adventure. I'm also thinking of my Mom and her family as they grieve the death of my Grandpa. One weekend, and so many memories old and new.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

© This is the Blog That Laura Wrote All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger