Made In June

July 8, 2013

I rehearsed very little in June, and I missed the flailing movement sessions in my tiny office that I had so many of in May. Still, I found strange satisfaction in making other things. Sometimes I think that creative energy is all the same, regardless of where it goes. Sometimes painting a wall or writing is just as nice as a rehearsal.

Here's what I made in June--
A Tiny Garden:
We decided not to attempt any major gardening or tilling in our new yard this year. Instead I planted seeds in pots-- mostly herbs, but also leaf lettuce and arugula. Eventually I got smart enough to move the pots outside, since our cats were treating the baby seedlings like ready-to-eat snacks. This small collection of plants makes me incredibly happy, and the fresh herbs are always ready for food (and cheaper than a trip to the store). 


A Chalkboard Wall:
A big part of my job for McGinley Motion is taking care of accounting, invoicing, and client-tracking. The folks at Braid Creative have long-inspired me to keep better track of what we're growing business-wise. So, I followed their lead and painted a wall of my office with chalkboard paint. On it I'm writing our Quarter 3 projects and clients. I'm loving filling it in and watching it grow.


The Perfect Pimm's Cup: 
I made a variation of this recipe, but changed some of the measurements and omitted the mint (which would be awesome, but I didn't have any). Here are the measurements I used:
           1 T. grated fresh ginger (I like a lot of ginger- use less if you don't)
           1 1/2 Oz. Pimm's
           1 1/2 Oz. Gin
           Juice of 1/2 lemon
           1/2 Oz. Simple syrup (you can make a big batch-- 1 C. water to 1 C. sugar, heated until disolved        
           and then chilled in the fridge)
           Top with soda water (or ginger ale-- but then I'd cut out the simple syrup)


I added dark chocolate, crystalized ginger, and walnuts to it. If I were to make it again, I'd add spices but skip the ginger and walnuts. Also, I upped the almond flour to 2 1/2 cups. I think it would be killer with some cream cheese frosting.


Some Money To Make Dances:
I wrote a grant back in February. In May I found out that I was moving to the final round of applicants, and last month I got to sit and watch a board of people deliberate over my proposal. I left certain that the grant wasn't in my future, but then had a pleasantly surprising email: I was funded! I think that there's skill involved in grant writing (certainly), but also a bit of chance involved in the selection process as well. Bottom line: thank you MRAC. I learned a lot about my goals from needing to articulate them on paper. I'm excited to share details about my upcoming project, which will be performed in February and March of 2014.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

© This is the Blog That Laura Wrote All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger