Busy & Sane

October 21, 2013



Happy Monday! Today is the first day of my self-employment adventure. It's also a short week because of Giant Steps (Friday), and a mid-week visit from one of my best old friends. There also happens to be a silly amount of things that need to be pushed into my 3 working days.

Being very busy has always been a source of anxiety for me-- I never know how to enjoy it all when there's so much crammed on my plate. And that's the point, yes? Enjoyment? I'm thinking so, because I happen to love most of what's filling my days right now. I don't want to wish it away, or decide that life will be better when it's calmer. Two weeks ago I taught a residency that had me traveling to a new school in a different suburb each day. After my first couple of classes I thought, "only nine more classes to teach this week!" And then I self-corrected, because if I'm walking around with a continual mental checklist of what I need to accomplish before I can chill out, there's a good chance that I'm not going to be present for my own life. I might miss it all, and that would be a bummer, to put it mildly.

So that's what's been on my mind: being busy, but staying sane. Some thoughts that keep running through my head--
  • My anxiety around busyness is way worse when I don't allow enough time to avoid being late to meeting and rehearsals.
  • Commutes are a great time to listen to podcasts.
  • Although it's tempting to work all the time when busy, it's a lot more enjoyable when I leave a night or two unscheduled, or take the time to meet up with a friend for an hour.
  • A new motto: Discomfort isn't necessarily bad. It's easy to get anxious when my abilities are being pushed. But the best stuff comes from being pushed, yes? It's not all comfortable, and that's good.
  • Eat 3 meals a day, no excuses. There is nothing worse than being stressed and having low blood sugar.
  • Breathe. Listen to some Queen. Remember that this is fun. It's fun, right?
In other news, Laura Brown has made us beautiful business cards just in time for Giant Steps! I'm going to stand up in front of some adults and give my presentation. Kids are easy, adults are scarier for me. Maybe I will imagine everyone as their 6-year-old selves.

Also, a question:
What arts/creativity-related blogs should I check out? What about blogs from performing artists? Visual artists? Point me in the right direction, please.

I'm taking the week off of posting here. Have a great one!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

© This is the Blog That Laura Wrote All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger