Words from Humans/ 1

September 27, 2014

As part of the Small Dances process I asked friends and strangers a series of questions, and then used some of their responses for the text of the show. Here are some of my favorite answers to the question who do you admire?



I admire people who do brave things as adults. This can mean trying to change something as small as one’s own habits or as big as public policy. It can be easy to coast by and not challenge oneself to do more and be better, so when I see someone putting in the work, I feel inspired.

I admire the lovers. There are 3 specific people in my life who love so much--without fear or second thought-- and I admire them enormously.

I admire how comfortable my cat is all the time. And also, how he's convinced he can take me down.

I admire people who truly step into compassion.  I also admire people who are absolutely on fire with passion—obsessed with things that turn them on.  I think it is actually pretty rare to find a person who is equally invested in compassion and passion, but those are the ones that I admire the most. 

Myself and my wife. I really admire us for not fucking around when it comes to making it count.

Children, if they still know how to play.  And old people, who know how to age gracefully.  And play.  

I admire my boyfriend for his incredible selflessness. He is literally better than me in every way, and I'm always working to be a better person to feel worthy of spending time in his presence. I literally can not believe he chooses me.  

I admire Kevin Love because he plays basketball like he wants to kill someone every night. And people who build their own lives.

Anyone who goes after what they really want. That takes guts. 

I admire my wife for her astounding ability to conquer any creative project with determination and grace. 

Trans people of color. They have to be so brave just to be themselves, just to survive. 

The most recent person I've admired is a coworker who's very good at being compassionate and professional with our clients and colleagues. 

I admire people who just CREATE whatever it is they want to exist in the world, even if they are bad at it, even if they stir controversy. There is a list of about 7,843 artists that I admire.

I admire my mom for being strong, not hard.

Good friends who faced cancer before me and have since died with dignity and love.

I admire people who are smart, people who get things done, people who are good to other people, people who are unpretentious, people who are generous, and people who are funny. I admire people with these qualities because I think the more that people have these qualities, the better off we'd all be. But people who are all these things at once tend not to exist. 

My college advisor. She was wired the same way I'm wired, and so I always figured, heck, if SHE can be successful and happy and hold down a job, then maybe it's possible for me too. 

Both my parents for different reasons: for being brave, for not being afraid to start over, for always being honest, for working hard. 

I admire people who truly step into compassion.  I also admire people who are absolutely on fire with passion—obsessed with things that turn them on.  I think it is actually pretty rare to find a person who is equally invested in compassion and passion, but those are the ones that I admire the most. 

My Grandmother’s strength, passion and adventurous spirit.

I admire my aunt, because in a family of tight lipped, emotionally disengaged people, she was able to communicate and experience a colorful array of emotions without shame or embarrassment. 

[If you're on instagram and want more great words from humans, theater maker/director Noah Bremer-- @thanksnoahthanks-- has been posting some fantastic & wise words from his friend, Jim Domenick under the hashtag #septemberances. I'm @laurabalaurah.]

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

© This is the Blog That Laura Wrote All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger