5 With: Laura Brown

October 15, 2014

You might know Laura Brown from her entertaining twitter commentary or this popular ARTCRANK print or because I like to discuss her awesomeness a great deal. While I'm smitten with Laura's artistic style, I also just plain admire her work ethic and commitment to her career. Since we met in early 2012, I've watched her dig in and prepare for (and then apply to) graduate school, Doing the Work in the truest sense. She continues to inspire me and to teach me a lot about persistence and asking for what you want. This fall Laura moved to Austin to pursue her MFA at the University of Texas on a full scholarship. Though Minneapolis is certainly not the same without her, I'm overjoyed for her big career step. And, so happy to share her words here.

photo by Erik Hess
Describe your work and how you got to this point in your career:
I am a printmaker and book artist. My work explores human relationships and our relationship to time and space, and is driven by the process of translating ideas into visual symbols, taking them through the printing process. I always like the adventure of how the printing changes the final outcome of the original idea.

I got into printmaking in college, because I had a wonderful, enthusiastic professor who was really interested in students and would teach us anything we wanted to know. I’ve arrived at this point in my career just by not giving up. I think that being successful as an artist is really a lot about persistence. Persistence looks different for everybody, but boils down to a commitment to continuing to make things and make your work better, and to continuing to have a curiosity about the world and life. 

I first applied to graduate school right out of college and didn’t get in. I spent the years between then and now taking part in residencies, and gathering information about how people make art and artistic careers. I got involved with a supportive artist community, made more and more work, and figured out what my voice was-- what my work was, what I liked, and what my process was. I applied to grad school this time because I was ready for a more challenged, committed studio experience, and time to make work more intensively. I’m ready to build my career into something more than a part-time pursuit.

What's a current creative challenge you face?
Right now I’m in a new academic atmosphere, which is a little weird. I’m at a major point of reassessing why my work is meaningful, what I’m making work about, and why the world needs what I making. Grad school is a big opportunity, and I want to make the most of it.

How do you balance paying your bills and making art?
When I was working a full-time job with money, I didn’t have time or creativity for art. When I chucked the job, I didn’t have any money to survive. I think for the most part the solution has been to make enough to get by, to live frugally, and to commit my non-working time to making art, almost to the exclusion of any other pursuit. I’ve said ‘no’ to a lot of things to make this possible: dating, owning nice things, and having a car. It’s not a martyr thing-- I’ve made the choice, so I don’t get to complain about it. 

Now that I’m older, I do think a lot more about money and being practical, and what other things I want besides this romantic idea of making a lot of art and being a broke bohemian person. Going to grad school is a step towards hopefully becoming more financially stable, and being able to facilitate continued art making in the future. I needed more stability.

Share some advice:
  • Get clear about what you want and how you define success-- what do you want from your art making? It’s something that only you can decide: do you want to do it for fun? Do you want it as a career? 
  • Put yourself out there. You won’t get anything back unless you do: put your work out there, apply for things, ask for help. It was really helpful for me to join a cooperative studio at the Minnesota Center for Book Arts, because I found a bunch of great people who were willing to mentor me. Regardless of your art form, there’s probably a community for you to join to get mentorship, help and advice. Take advantage of this. 
  • Keep going.
What’s inspiring you?
Some of the artists I go back to time and again are Sister Corita Kent, Helen Frankenthaler, and Anna Eva Bergman. They are like visual comfort food to me. Lately I have been digging a bunch of random stuff--grad school has a way of overwhelming you with things to look at and research. I like to keep up with printeresting.org, which is a blog that covers a wide variety of print-related media. If you are in Minneapolis, you should really take a look at my friend Kjel's work in the current MCAD Jerome Emerging Artists Exhibition (up through November 9). It's colorful and funny and smart and I love it.

You can find Laura and her work over here, and read more 5 with interviews here

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

© This is the Blog That Laura Wrote All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger