One Last Thing

November 3, 2014

In these three posts about connecting to creative work, I left out one crucial (to me) suggestion:

Start a Blog

Blogging has been an invaluable tool for me to #1) get moving creatively (generally, the more frequently I produce something, the more likely I am to keep making things) and #2) get clear about what I care about and want to put in the world and #3) connect my ideas & thoughts to other people. It's certainly not for everyone, but it's been helpful for me. 

Now, I don't think that blogging is the only way to get some of these same benefits. I think what's key is to find something that makes you...

1) Show up before you're ready: If I waited until a post was perfect, I'd never write anything. Writing regularly makes other creative activity less daunting. I know that it's certainly not the end of the world to put something mediocre into the world. I have to start somewhere.

2) Produce work regularly: Similar to the above-- writing regularly makes me creatively accountable, even when I don't feel like it.

3) Share your work & ideas with the world: I've connected to a lot of my current creative community through this blog. 

Maybe you hate writing. OK-- take photos instead, or post your collection of doodles. Maybe you're worried that this world doesn't need another blog? I get it. Probably ignore that. Write for you. Write to figure out who you are and what you care about on November 3, 2014, and then watch that change. I promise you'll learn something in the process. 

[You can find all of the posts on connecting to your creative work over here.]

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

© This is the Blog That Laura Wrote All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger