5 With: Amanda Lovelee

March 26, 2015

I'm really excited about the art made by Amanda Lovelee! She works conceptually in a variety of mediums, creating events, spaces and physical structures. You might know her name from her piece, Balancing Ground, which won the Creative City Challenge last summer. I've been particularly excited by her participatory event-based pieces. For instance, It's Always Someones Birthday, which brought people together to enjoy cake and write birthday cards for a local nursing home, and Call and Answer Project, which used square dancing to encourage hand holding and physical connection. Here she discusses how parenthood has changed her practice, her path towards the work she makes now, and the challenges of having an art-related job. Thanks, Amanda! 


Describe your current creative work and how you came to make it:
My current work focuses on creating spaces and tools for gathering. I am interested in reimagining how we use public space. The mediums that I use shift depending on the project: some pieces are event based, and others physical structures. I am constantly asking questions, researching the world around me, and testing my hypothesis in the form of projects. I really hope that over time my work creates genuine connections between people.  

I started my artistic career as a photographer and spent my time in graduate school focusing on media installations. I have always been interested in people's relationship to each other, the environment, and play. I know these things sound disjointed (and at times my work can look that way), but conceptually I just want to weave connections between people, build a utopic society, help the environment, and tackle these large ideas in playful and engaging ways. 

I have gotten to this point in my career through building relationships, moving slow while making a lot, dreaming large while embracing the possibility of failure, and with the help of many amazing people. I sometimes wish there was a more direct route to being an artist, but I'm also so grateful for all the steps that have grown the work I now make. Most importantly, I do not give up easily and work really hard and maybe too much. 

What are your biggest creative challenges?
Time. I feel like I am constantly thinking up ideas but there is not enough time where I can focus on developing them. I try to sort out a few and then start applying for grants. Whatever gets funded gets built. That process is slow and shoved between working and raising my son. I dream of a month away from packing lunches, washing clothing, writing emails, and applying to things-- which makes me think I need to make time to apply to a residency. I have also been amazed at how my son has slowed down my practice, while making it tighter in a good way. I am bolder, more vulnerable, and have no time to waste. I think I just really miss the time to daydream-- not planning, solving or writing, but just being. In the whole tide of life I do try to keep in mind that this is just now. Maybe I will have more time again?

How do you balance work that pays the bills with work that's creatively exciting to you?
I try to weave them together, because it was too much mental work for me to silo my life. Now I have a job where I work as an artist. Much of my work is thinking about gathering, public space and play.  I find myself at public playgrounds every day with my son playing. I know I am lucky to have a job that pays my bills and where I get to make my work. Working as a City Artist in Residence is a constant research position as well. 

Before this job, I worked multiple jobs at the same time-- adjunct teaching, babysitting, and assisting other artist. There are advantages to both situations. When I make art as my job, it makes it hard to come home and still want to make work and generate ideas. A great friend once told me you just have to pick what you are going to be good at that day-- you can’t be great at everything every day. 

I left a full time job with benefits in 2008 to get my MFA. It took until this year to have paid sick days, health insurance and a salary close to what I made them. I also now have a large bill from my MFA...

Give some advice: what resources that have been most helpful to you?
+ Travel: Get out and see the world; live in other countries. You will see new things, but you will also see where you come from and yourself in new ways. Make sacrifices and work hard to get the chances to see new places and things!

+ Go see art: I love books, but I have been a museum geek since a young age. I love science museums, history museums, natural history museums and art museums.  

Favorite Museums that shaped me at different points in my life:

What other artists have been inspiring you lately?
+ I have always been in love with Ann Hamilton. Her large, site-specific installation gives voice to a space's history. I really enjoyed hearing here speak at the MIA last year-- her words are just as poetic as her spaces.  

+ The work of Future Farmers is something I have been watching for last few years. I love how each of their projects has so many layers and engages with the community. I am amazed by their project Soil Kitchen!  

+ Other things that I have been reading, looking at and considering are some of the interesting work of landscape architects, architects, urban planners, and environmental scientists. It is exciting to see how different fields think about the building of cities. I have been researching Copenhagen recently and how artist/designers are creating innovative projects that are both atheistically beautiful, but also working toward making the city more eco friendly. I never knew my career would veer towards and civic spin but I am really excited about where it is going!

[Find more about Amanda and her work on her website. Read more 5 With interviews here.]

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

© This is the Blog That Laura Wrote All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger